Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Before and Afters - the Kitchen

Ahh yes the kitchen. I'm sure I've posted a few progress shots along the way, but I don't recall if I ever provided full on gory before shots. Looking at them now I have to admit I don't remember it being that bad.

Before:

Here it is in all it's cream and brown glory.

You'll see in the after shots I chose to lose the pantry to open up the space.



During:


Carcass of the kitchen cupboards being installed.






After:

P1010127

P1010137

P1010133

P1010130

P1010136



P1010142

P1010140

P1010146


Is it my ideal kitchen, no... if I had the opportunity to do things again, would I change anything... maybe, but hindsight is a bitch. At the end of the day, I do love it. Even if I still dream about having extra money in my budget to install stone bench tops in as opposed to laminate. I think I made the right decision for my house and the market when (if ever) I sell.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kristen

    Oooh it's beautiful! Is the cupboard under the bench (next to the drawers) a built in dishwasher or is it a piano hinge cupboard? I went for a flat pack with laminate benches for my kitchen too as I hope the teeny tiny house/unit I live in now will eventually become a investment property and I can then buy my dream home with a dream kitchen! hehehe I love the glass tiles that you used for the splashback too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks misskitty. It's so weird looking at the befores, now that everything is done I don't have any concept of how ugly it one was.

    I love my tiles too, they were my compromise on not being able to afford a glass splashback. I think I'm actually happier having tiles to add a bit of texture to a fairly simple kitchen.

    I don't have a dishwasher unfortunately... I really wanted one but yet again my budget got in the way. Plus it's just me I'm washing for, so I don't really need it(and my housemate doesn't cook). I'm not sure what a piano hinge is, but I'm pretty sure it's just a normal cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! I love the before and afters, it looks so good now. Those tiles are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops I deleted my post:)

    I love your new kitchen! I think your tiles suit the space much better than glass. How do you find living without a pantry? I assume there's none and would like to do the same with mine. Keep up the lovely blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't mind not having an offical "pantry" but I think it's ultimately going to depend on how many people are living/eating in your house. My place is a 3x1 villa and it's just me and my housemate living here. My housemate doesn't really cook, so it's prety much just me storing food.

    If you check out my pictures - I use the lower cupboard next to the draws for all of my flour, baking produts, spices, tinned food and onions. The thin upper cupboard to the left of my rangehood is used to store things like salt and pepper, soy and other sauces. If I run out of space, the fridge acts as extra storage ;) If you're interested let me know and I'll upload some photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks lovely! I adore a good pantry perve... helps me with my own planning.

    We're using open bookshelves in our current haphazard kitchen and I love them. Forces me to be neat!

    ReplyDelete