Thursday, September 16, 2010

Back courtyard

This is another courtyard I have to tackle in my gardening efforts. As you can see it is beyond ugly. There was previously a pseudo-retaining wall in place. I say pseudo because it was falling down and not doing much retaining.




Now I'm left with the remnants - a massive pile of soil I need to remove in order to reclaim the garden bed.

Once I manage to get a skip bin in, remove the sand and actually get the garden bed in a decent state, I'm not quite sure what to do with this one. As you can probably tell from the picture this is effectively a service area at the back of my house with the (currently out of use) clothes line.

I'm thinking a low maintenance hedging plant of some variety. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Do you have any windows that look out to this courtyard? If you do maybe something flowering would be nice to brighten it up a bit - eg. cannas or ginger plants? They're tall and lush too which would draw the eye away from the brick wall. With hedges you would need to keep them clipped - especially when they're establishing to ensure they're bushy so I'm not sure if they will be that low maintenance...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, the second and third bedrooms have windows which overlook this courtyard. I'm clearly selfish and never thought of providing a nice outlook for my housemate/visitors because my bedroom is on the other side of the house.

    I think this one might requite a bit more thought... having said that I think this courtyard will be the last one I get around to fixing up seeing as it's the least used.

    ReplyDelete